I’ve tested everything from chemical cleaners to baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice etc. I don’t like commercial cleaners near my food, therefore the affinity towards natural solutions. The most effective method I’ve found in my testing is an essential oil based cleaner from Thieves (https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/thieves-household-cleaner).
Thieves comes in concentrated form and can be diluted to 1:50 to make a an effective householder (well worth the asking price from that point of view). For a dirty oven, it’s best to spray undiluted and let it soak overnight. Next morning spray some clean water and scrub with a non-scratch nylon scrubber.
What you need
- Thieves Amazon Link
- Spray bottle Amazon Link
- Scotch Brite Non-Scratch Amazon Link
- Decant 2oz/60ml of Thieves in a spray bottle. Spray and soak the oven cavity
- Let it soak overnight
- Fill the bottle with clean water and lightly mist the cavity.
- Wipe down cavity with kitchen towels - this will take off the light brown grease stains
- Spray some more water and scrub with a non-scratch nylon scrubber
- Repeat 1…5 until you feel happy
It’s best to clean your oven often before grease polymerizes to dark brown or black spots!